Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Grandad


Two weeks ago we had a trip to Knowsley Safari Park with Grandma and Grandad Wilson. We had a lovely day. Last Wednesday, Grandad was taken into Hospital with chest pains. They suspected he had a clot in his lung. By Friday he was looking and feeling much better. They needed to scan him to check out the clot, but decided to keep him in over the weekend and do the scan Monday. Friday afternoon, Mum went back in to see him and he couldn't speak, she realised he had a stroke. Within a few hours he was unconscious and had drifted into a coma. He was rushed in for an emergency scan which revealed he had a subdural heamatoma. We were told he would not recover and that they were going to withdraw all treatment. Mum at that point was on her own. Dad is away on business in Taiwan. Nige, Lily, Rick, Rachel, Jake, Deb, Jazz, Rohaise and I all set off for the hospital. It was so hard to see Grandad in a coma. We were all very shocked, obviously none more so than Grandma. Mum stayed with Grandma and went back and to, to the hospital, Michaeal and Norma also visited Grandad throughout the weekend. Deb, Mum and I were there with Grandad on Sunday eve, we felt at peace as we prayed with him and sang 'God be with you till we meet again'. He passed away about 6am Monday 19th March.

Grandad was the kindest man you'd ever meet. We'll miss him so much. We'll miss his love, his jokes, his stories, his homemade cards, his photography, his eyebrows!, his quizzes...that he said were modern but grandma would then say..."Thats not modern thats from the 1950s!!!" Sunday afternoons will never be the same...who'll be question master? Who's going to tell us off when we're not listening? I'll miss Grandad's emails, I loved to hear from him and Grandma. We'll miss his big kisses goodbye. As I kissed him goodbye Sunday evening, I was so comforted to know and believe that I will see him again. I'm sure he's happy with his family - his sister, his Mum, his Dad and friends and catching up with them. We'll all look forward to time together again. His funeral will be next Tuesday.

No comments: